Step One: Choose a Venue
At this time, you may have THREE PCs on Eternal Noire.
We currently are offering ONE setting with six distinct Venues:
- Beast the Primordial
- Changeling the Lost
- Deviant the Renegades
- Hunter the Vigil
- Mage the Awakening
- Vampire the Requiem
In addition, Mortals are also being accepted in all venues.
In the future, we may add more venues depending on book availability and expanding our Story Telling team! If you’re interested in seeing a venue we don’t currently have in play, please feel free to apply for staff!
Step Two: Obtain a Character Sheet
- Click one of the following links to access the appropriate character sheet.
- To make a sheet, copy the sheet into your own Drive account so you can edit it.
- To fill in the dots, simply type a ‘.’ in the box and it will automatically fill it.
- See the ‘Help’ tab for other options such as changing the dot color to reflect free dots, etc.
Step Three: Creation & House Rules
On Eternal Noire we are using Chronicles of Darkness (nWoD 2e) for our setting, with the following exceptions:
- EN House Rules
- HtV Translation
- Approved Book List
- MCIs: No MCIs at character creation.
Otherwise, we will be using the basic creation rules located in the core Chronicles of Darkness pages 24-60. Each venue will be using their basic creation rules in their respective books, but to summarize:
- Name & Concept
- Anchors: Vice/Virtue (or equivalent, if any)
- Attributes: 5/4/3
- Skills: 11/7/4
- Specialties: 3
- Merits: 10 (even for mortals)
- Starting Integrity: 7 (or appropriate level for your character type)
Step Four: Add Your Template
Once you have a basic sheet ready, you’ll need to add your template. Each venue has their own creation specific rules, so you’ll have to check their creation sections below.
Please refer to pg 77 of the Beast corebook for basic template creation rules.
- Please define your Horror’s specific hunger at creation.
- You may begin with any of the alternate Birthrights, please indicate this in your notes section, otherwise it will be assumed you took the default.
- Regardless of starting Lair, you may only begin play with your Heart and one other Chamber.
- Per the book, you may start with just your Heart for 2xp (this still counts toward any and all XP caps).
- You may take one dot in a Clique for free
- Players may begin with one Family Tie to either another PC or a generic NPC. Please describe the nature of this relationship, and if a generic NPC, provide a few sentences describing the NPC.
- Primordial Cults are allowed at creation and are capped at 3. Your Herald may be an NPC or a PC.
- Obcasus rites must be earned in-game, similarly, Guidance must happen in-game to count towards being able to learn Obcasus rites.
- Any merit that doesn’t have Beast as a prerequisite is considered general and open to all characters.
- Heralds must be tied to a PC beast
- Any mortal in the Beast venue may become a Herald if sponsored by a PC Beast.
- To sponsor a Herald, a Beast must have a Primordial Cult.
- Heralds may join their Beast’s Clique.
- Heralds benefit from their Beasts Primordial Cult merits.
- Heralds may supernatural merits, but not quarter splats.
- Should a Herald’s Beast die or desanction, another PC Beast may claim them, the Herald’s Legend will adjust to match their new Beast.
- Should a Herald go one month without finding a new Beast, the player may choose to either become a Beast or become a Mortal.
- If the player chooses to become a Beast, they are able to manifest any Family and Hunger.
- If the player chooses to become a Mortal, they retain Unseen Senses: Primordial Dream; all other Advanced and Epic merits fall under Sanctity of Merits rules.
- While vanilla mortals are allowed, keep in mind the complications of being totally out of the know with no way for Beasts to find you. Mortals in Beast are intended to act much like Wolfbloods do in Werewolf – expect to still be tied to the Begotten. For further guidance, please see chat policies regarding getting involved in plots.
- The following quarter templates are allowed: Atariya, Infected, Psychic Vampires, and Skin Thieves. Shadow Occultists from Shunned by the Moon can be earned in-game if the criteria are met.
- Supernatural Tolerance is capped at 1 at creation.
- Quarter splats cannot become Heralds, but other mortals in the venue are considered to have a deep enough connection to the Primordial Dreams to become Heralds.
- Mortals may be Devoured if the plot calls for it, by making a mortal in the venue, you agree to the possibility.
- A player may request to be Devoured after a month of play.
- Mortals may join a Clique with a PC sponsor.
Approved Book List
- Beast the Primordial
- Beast Player’s Guide
- Any Atavisms or Nightmares from any other official book
- Dark Eras
- Dark Eras 2
- Dark Eras Companion
- Shunned by the Moon (just the Shadow Occultist stuff)
Step Five: Add Bonus XP
We are offering 10 Bonus Starting XP that you may spend in any way that complies with each venue’s creation rules. This is to help flesh out your PC so that you can give it more of an individualistic feel.
Step Six: Background & Questionnaire
Writing a background can feel a bit daunting, especially when you don’t know what to expect from the staff. At Eternal Noire, we want to encourage PCs to be as creative and thorough with their backgrounds as possible. We encourage tie-ins to the setting, and our Story Telling staff will read your background thoroughly no matter if it’s a bullet list, or a well written short story to set your PC up for how they ended up in the here and now of sanctioning. We don’t expect a ton of justification, but if you have any outliers on your sheet in terms of very high or very low dots, it’s a good chance to explain how that happened to our team here.
Sanctioning is a conversation. Our Staff is here to help you make your creative ideas work within the game and setting we have prepared.
OUR PROMISE: WE WILL READ YOUR HISTORY, and we will USE the story hooks and ties you give us.
What we Require from Backgrounds:
- Questionnaire Answers
- These are personalized for each venue, and they’re usually short questions that the STs will be looking for to assist in the sanctioning process.
- Check the individual Creation Pages for your venue for more information.
- These are the MINIMUM requirements to help flesh out your characters.
- Character History: A Bullet Pointed List, or short story/novella about your PC.
- 3 “Story Hooks” for your character.
- These will help the team tie your personal character into the storyline and get you involved in the ongoing plots more quickly.
- These also give the story tellers a chance to give you personal story arcs, along with the overarching venue arcs.
- These are NOT “Role-play” Hooks, these are PLOT and SETTING hooks.
- No more, and no less than 3.
- “New to NYC”
- “Daughter of So-n-So NPC”
- End-Game Goal(s) for your character.
- These can be IC or OOC goals for your PC. At least 1, no more than 3.
- Anything from “Get to Status 5 Government” or “Find my parent’s killers”, or even “Be Batman”.
- These help YOU get a good idea for your Character’s direction and helps the STs know what kind of things to help nudge your towards.
Step Seven: Make a Character Thread
Make a new character thread in the appropriate venue’s Awaiting Sanctioning thread.
Step Eight: Await Sanctioning
Logging on during an ST’s available time is the fastest way to get Sanctioned. Some teams may also prefer to do this via Forum Private Messaging (FPM), especially if there is a scheduling conflict.