Questions about Beast

For everything venue related, but is OOC.
Aeveth

Questions about Beast

Post by Aeveth »

Hello,

I feel like we should have a thread for questions and answers and I'll start with a few of my own.

1. How are we handling the kinships merits and nightmares that don't have venues in play? Could we use the existing venues as kinship for some of the stuff? Like instead of werewolf for the merit Scent Your Prey or the nightmare Your Rage Consumes You, could we use a vampire instead for example? (Both have superior senses and a berserker mode)

2. What are the limits for custom content? Can we come up with our own atavisms for example, or just custom made merits (Kinship only?), nightmares and obcasus rites?

3. Can you please expand on the Primordial Cult please, I know it says special, and we are limited to 3 dots worth Primordial cult...if I understand it right that means the 2 initial dots and a 1 dot benefit and we can go up to 20 dots with it (if you were to get all of the benefits listed in the book at max rank, Influential explicitily says it can be taken 5 times)
Xolotl

Re: Questions about Beast

Post by Xolotl »

Aeveth wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:03 pm Hello,

I feel like we should have a thread for questions and answers and I'll start with a few of my own.

1. How are we handling the kinships merits and nightmares that don't have venues in play? Could we use the existing venues as kinship for some of the stuff? Like instead of werewolf for the merit Scent Your Prey or the nightmare Your Rage Consumes You, could we use a vampire instead for example? (Both have superior senses and a berserker mode)

2. What are the limits for custom content? Can we come up with our own atavisms for example, or just custom made merits (Kinship only?), nightmares and obcasus rites?

3. Can you please expand on the Primordial Cult please, I know it says special, and we are limited to 3 dots worth Primordial cult...if I understand it right that means the 2 initial dots and a 1 dot benefit and we can go up to 20 dots with it (if you were to get all of the benefits listed in the book at max rank, Influential explicitily says it can be taken 5 times)
  1. In general, if you can make a kinship nightmare or merit make sense, I'm fine with reskinning - Beasts are creatures of dreams and dreams are rarely that rigid. It's also possible to find minor NPCs of pretty much any supernatural type and you can convince them to accept a family tie too! This option is both for supernaturals we don't have venues for as well as for people who don't want to engage in crossover.
  2. You can create custom anything - Atavisms, Nightmares, Obcasus Rites, Kinship Merits, etc. The only limit is no custom content right at opening, give us as bit to get things started first!
  3. You pretty much just explained it. The big difference between Primordial Cult and an MCI is that other PCs don't join it (unless you recruit a PC Herald), so they act much like a fancier version of Retainer. If you want to max out a Primordial Cult, I'm perfectly fine with it - I'll make sure it comes up enough not to feel like a waste (plus they make your thread and feeding actions a lot easier). The 3 dots max is just at creation, afterwards you can up it like any other merit. Just remember, the more powerful your cult, the less hidden you become; there's a reason none of the NPCs have huge cults <_<
Wingofbenu

Post by Wingofbenu »

In a similar vein of wuestion, if I wanted to invent say, a Mage or something npc to have a family tie to, would that be a possibility, specifically for the sake of kinship or nightmare stuff?

would I have to buy such a thing with merits to have an ally and then put a family tie to it?
Xolotl

Post by Xolotl »

Wingofbenu wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:44 pm In a similar vein of wuestion, if I wanted to invent say, a Mage or something npc to have a family tie to, would that be a possibility, specifically for the sake of kinship or nightmare stuff?

would I have to buy such a thing with merits to have an ally and then put a family tie to it?
At creation, I'm allowing one made up NPC to have ties to, after creation you'll have to hunt for them! Basically, you can do a thread action to find one and then engage in social maneuvering to convince them. You don't have to buy them as an Ally though, like the ST Gift Box, spending XP on them does make them safer from plot device (along with the other benefits of the merit you use to represent them).
Aeveth

Post by Aeveth »

Metztli wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:29 pm
Wingofbenu wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:44 pm In a similar vein of wuestion, if I wanted to invent say, a Mage or something npc to have a family tie to, would that be a possibility, specifically for the sake of kinship or nightmare stuff?

At creation, I'm allowing one made up NPC to have ties to, after creation you'll have to hunt for them! Basically, you can do a thread action to find one and then engage in social maneuvering to convince them. You don't have to buy them as an Ally though, like the ST Gift Box, spending XP on them does make them safer from plot device (along with the other benefits of the merit you use to represent them).
Following on this, are there any limitations or restrictions for merits if we do want to buy them for our Kinship NPCs?

Like for example,Allies or Status, lets say I'm aiming for kinship with werewolves, I take Allies or Status (Midnight Howlers Pack), since the allies merit is about close ties with a group of people(usually) or Status for being part of the group itself, would it mean I get a whole pack of werewolves for kinship with my pick of Tribes and Auspices?

For the record, not aiming to get something like Status Invictus or something along those lines I feel like going for that, if it happens at all, should be limited to whatever happens IC after the game starts, but suff like getting close ties with a motley or a coterie could happen a little more easier.
Xolotl

Post by Xolotl »

Aeveth wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:04 pm
Metztli wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:29 pm

Following on this, are there any limitations or restrictions for merits if we do want to buy them for our Kinship NPCs?

Like for example,Allies or Status, lets say I'm aiming for kinship with werewolves, I take Allies or Status (Midnight Howlers Pack), since the allies merit is about close ties with a group of people(usually) or Status for being part of the group itself, would it mean I get a whole pack of werewolves for kinship with my pick of Tribes and Auspices?

For the record, not aiming to get something like Status Invictus or something along those lines I feel like going for that, if it happens at all, should be limited to whatever happens IC after the game starts, but suff like getting close ties with a motley or a coterie could happen a little more easier.
To start, you can only have one member of a pack, as everyone is limited to one minor NPC at creation. You can do threadwork to convince the others once the venue has started. Status cannot be taken for a pack, you'd have to be a member of the pack (in which case you wouldn't need Status anyway) and joining NPC packs (or equivalents in other venues) is beyond the scope of what we're planning to do. Allies would make convincing the rest of the pack easier, but it would not automatically give you Kinship with the whole pack. Keep in mind that your minor NPCs are not intended to be mechanically relevant apart from providing Kinship and possible plot hooks. The same will be true with any ST-generated minor NPCs.
Wingofbenu

Post by Wingofbenu »

so do we have an official beast sheet to use since we have a thread topic now? I have the sheet done-ish on an outside pdf sheet but wondering if theres an official for chat one.
Xolotl

Post by Xolotl »

All of the sheets are up! On the main page go to Setting->New Player's Guide->Character Creation and the link is under the general rules.

I recommend paying attention to the update tracker thread as it is where we've been announcing when things are ready!
Aeveth

Post by Aeveth »

Less of a question more like something to make note of, the Beast Sheets don't have a way to keep track of the Horror Stats

I'll just put mine on the Notes section at the bottom, but if you want us to do different do let us know please.
Xolotl

Post by Xolotl »

Aeveth wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 3:23 pm Less of a question more like something to make note of, the Beast Sheets don't have a way to keep track of the Horror Stats

I'll just put mine on the Notes section at the bottom, but if you want us to do different do let us know please.
I just noticed that too! I'd replace the bottom part of the Dossier since wee don't need web links and the like!