Questions about Beast

For everything venue related, but is OOC.
Anunorav

Re: Questions about Beast

Post by Anunorav »

Okays, thanks!! I'll read the manual again and thinks in a concept meanwhile
Aeveth

Post by Aeveth »

Hello

I got another question, and it sort of came up during my sanction anyway, but I think it'll be good for everyone if we all had an answer to it.

So, getting right to it, what are the limits to Well Stocked Lair? quoting from the book
Each dot in this Merit allows the character to select two dots worth of Merits that represent the material goods and inhabitants available in her Lair.
Inhabitants is easy, correct me if I'm wrong here but it basically amounts to Ghosts, Spirits, Dreamborn, etc. you got one or more living in your lair so retainer, allies, mentor could cover this easily.

Now objects, and I really didn't think about this one as I should when I made my character, here is where it gets a bit complicated, there are merits for objects and locations, there too many to list to be honest, but I'll name a few.
  • Safe Place
  • Esoteric Armory
  • Haven, Hollow, Den, etc.
  • Fetish, Artifact, Token, Enhanced Item, Imbued Item, Memento, etc.
  • Deviant gives us a few extra interesting uses, Manticore Companion, Stabilizer?
The list goes on and on if you go around and check the books, interesting stuff for crossover but my question is

Should we be looking at these merits individually when it comes to benefits for Well Stocked Merit? what is fair game here, what are we free to take?

Thank you for your time and consideration.
Xolotl

Post by Xolotl »

Aeveth wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:37 pm Hello

I got another question, and it sort of came up during my sanction anyway, but I think it'll be good for everyone if we all had an answer to it.

So, getting right to it, what are the limits to Well Stocked Lair? quoting from the book
Each dot in this Merit allows the character to select two dots worth of Merits that represent the material goods and inhabitants available in her Lair.
Inhabitants is easy, correct me if I'm wrong here but it basically amounts to Ghosts, Spirits, Dreamborn, etc. you got one or more living in your lair so retainer, allies, mentor could cover this easily.

Now objects, and I really didn't think about this one as I should when I made my character, here is where it gets a bit complicated, there are merits for objects and locations, there too many to list to be honest, but I'll name a few.
  • Safe Place
  • Esoteric Armory
  • Haven, Hollow, Den, etc.
  • Fetish, Artifact, Token, Enhanced Item, Imbued Item, Memento, etc.
  • Deviant gives us a few extra interesting uses, Manticore Companion, Stabilizer?
The list goes on and on if you go around and check the books, interesting stuff for crossover but my question is

Should we be looking at these merits individually when it comes to benefits for Well Stocked Merit? what is fair game here, what are we free to take?

Thank you for your time and consideration.
An excellent question with a less than excellent answer. If you can justify it, I'm game for most things, but normal limitations still apply, so you couldn't do Stabilizer because you don't have Stability. Manticore companion, I'd consider dependent on the Deviant team's blessing. In general, if it's thematically tied to another active venue, I'll have to discuss it with that team.

Safe Place I'm less inclined to allow simply because your Lair is already a Safe Place, and things like Hallow, Hollow, or Heaven require to to be one of the creatures attached to said merits. I'm willing to consider things like Workshop, etc if they make sense - a Changeling could have built the workshop for you, etc - it's more about can this exist without other merits than it is a hard rule.

Things like Fetish or Imbued Item are trickier. Remember, the objects this merit provides vanish quickly, and are less likely to be useful in your Lair as you're merged with your Horror, so it really depends on the character and the merit.

Merits that definitely qualify are:
  • Allies
  • Contacts
  • Library
  • Esoteric Armory
  • Hobbyist Clique (there can be some fun mental gymnastics here)
  • Horrorspawn
  • Resources (which can be used to purchase things like equipment but as the resource fades, this can be a dangerous, if not quick, method is procurement)
In a nutshell, I'm willing to hear out most proposals, but am more likely to say yes to things that make sense and don't overly step on the toes of other venues. That said, I love clever ideas and so if it isn't totally off-kilter, give it shot!

Addendum: I've talked it over with the team, we're fine with you using the granted dots as essentially purchasing power even it comes to equipment Availability!
Aeveth

Post by Aeveth »

More questions!

I named fetish and imbued item because those could have more strange effects (think of the three witches eye that let them see fate (or just see) in the tale of Perseus)....though I can see that fetish wouldn't work since it needs a spirit bound to it...anyway, they don't banish that quickly, objects taken from the lair last a couple of days in the material world according to the BPG, I'm unsure of some of the wording of the merit, does it lets us take out several copies of an item for a cache of it or if you invest in a cache of weapons (3 assault rifles or 5 SMG or 10 Pistols?) you get that instead?

Which leads me to another question, what if the object is returned before the time runs out, does it still goes puff or does it remain?

Availabitly is good way to keep track of it, more complex or powerful equipment being more valuable
Wingofbenu

Post by Wingofbenu »

so. Family Resemblance. We were discussing it in the foyer and Athena indicated it always is a roll, not an autodetect, but the corebook also details it as being automatically successful unless a supernaturasl is actively hiding their nature.

also theres a dicepool for rolling it, but if its an automatically successful thing the roll would never come up unless you were actively using it?

I realize this is all because the power isnt worded well in the corebook, but for the sake of using it right can we get a full explanation?
Xolotl

Post by Xolotl »

Wingofbenu wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:07 am so. Family Resemblance. We were discussing it in the foyer and Athena indicated it always is a roll, not an autodetect, but the corebook also details it as being automatically successful unless a supernaturasl is actively hiding their nature.

also theres a dicepool for rolling it, but if its an automatically successful thing the roll would never come up unless you were actively using it?

I realize this is all because the power isnt worded well in the corebook, but for the sake of using it right can we get a full explanation?
We've talked it over. Beasts can passively detect any fully supernatural creatures (Changelings, Deviants, and Vampires per our current venues) unless they actively use an ability or power to conceal their nature - strengthening the Mask, Blush of Life, Mimicry, etc. If they have such an ability active, the Beast must win a Clash of Wills and then make the Family Resemblance roll. Should the creature use a power later on, another Clash of Wills may be attempted if the first one failed.

Hunters, mortals with supernatural merits or templates, Ghouls, Fae-touched, and the like are not automatically detected and use the rules in the book as-is.

For any supernaturals, you can also roll Family Resemblance to gain the details listed on the roll.
Wingofbenu

Post by Wingofbenu »

alright, cool. Thanks!
Aeveth

Post by Aeveth »

Got a question, I have a nightmare that has as an exceptional success effect count as feeding, I'm a bit confused about how this works, I mean, lets take You Have Foreseen This for example
Exceptional Success: If the Delusional Condition is re-solved by the victim during the duration of the Nightmare, it counts as fulfilling the Beast’s Hunger.
So, you make the target fullfil the condition and it counts as feeding, how does this work then?

Do you get 5 (or 3) Satiety because that's how many successes you got on your nightmare activation roll?

Or instead, does that become your Base Potential for a feeding attempt and can roll it to see how much satiety you get?