A Few (Queer) Words

For everything venue related, but is OOC.
Xolotl

A Few (Queer) Words

Post by Xolotl »

In light of recent discussions, I feel the need to clarify something I previously thought to be obvious: the Beast venue is, has been since the beginning, and will be to the end, a space that is not only safe, but actively welcoming to both the LGBTQ and POC communities.

In the spirit of full transparency, I am gay, nonbinary, and Mexican. Since the first day I logged into Eternal Noire in the early days of 1.0, the chat has been a space where I've never felt the need to hide any of these facets of myself, and if I am personally unwilling to tone myself down, rest assured I am not going to ask that of others. Moreover, I have a degree in anthropology and currently work in a large urban library, so it shouldn't be a shock that I'm going to explore more than just the standard canons of Western myth and lore.

When I designed this setting and the NPCs therein, I spent weeks checking and rechecking that my cast was diverse, while not playing into harmful stereotypes. New York City is a diverse city, and my NPCs were chosen to reflect this; they were also designed to signal to people who might not be used to seeing reflections of themselves that they are welcome. That people feel comfortable playing trans, lesbian, bi, pan, ace, gay, etc characters is a huge positive in my book, and it is my eternal hope that people continue to tell these stories.

The Beast venue will continue to be a diverse setting, full of both queer people and people of color. I will continue to run it through a queer and Mexican lens, and I will not apologize for doing so - and while I am the one writing these words, Surtur is also completely in agreement with them.

My priority is to make this game a place where people can be free to express themselves, and also please remember the site's golden rule: Don't Be A Jerk.