Intelligence Vs Wits

Have a question about a rule you need clarified or general game questions? Post your question in this form for the staff to review and respond to.
Aeveth

Intelligence Vs Wits

Post by Aeveth »

Hello

I got a question for something I catched on the core book.

Pg. 33 Under the investigation skill, has Examine a crime scene (Wits + Investigation)

Pg. 71 for Investigating a scene ask for a Intelligence + Investigation roll

Say I want to make a character good at investigating stuff, which is the right way to go here? and a question that I think I need a bit of clarity of is, how would a high intelligence character would contribute to any investigation?

I know Wits is for quick thinking and perception stuff, but I figure out that Intelligence should also play a part but I'm having trouble figuring out how in the mechanics of the game it would play a part.
Jupiterjones

Re: Intelligence Vs Wits

Post by Jupiterjones »

(the STs will probably correct me if I am wrong) but my understanding is you are using the wits version to notice details in the crime scene. To put all that together you use intelligence. IE Wits finds the puzzle pieces, Int puts them together, yeah?
Capybara

Post by Capybara »

So, with any mentally focused character, you really do want both Int and Wits. I needed both when I played Joker last chron. And she mainly used Computers. There were times I was doing extended Int+Computers rolls, and then there were times I had to do Wits+Computers because time was of the essence. I'd say you want both at three, but you could always lean further into one over the other. Depending on how your character is good at investigations.
Gehrman

Post by Gehrman »

Think of Intelligence as having time to figure things out and Wits as needing to make a decision quickly. Most Crime scenes would be Int + Investigation and fIguring out the riddle to the locked door would be Wits + Investigation.

So to build a good investigation PC, the best is to balance your Intelligence and Wits and go 3-5 dots in Investigation with a Specialty, Professional Training, and Investigative Prodigy
Aeveth

Post by Aeveth »

Thank you I'll be mindful of all that while developing my characters