So, You’re a Half-Fae now

For everything venue related, but is OOC.
Hecate

Post by Hecate »

(This is a resource your characters also have available to them In-Character;,the In-Character primer covers the basic outline of being a changeling from the core rule book, as well as the following information about the venue’s setting:.)

Welcome to the Brooklyn Free Economic Zone.

Welcome to the Zone, or B-FEZ as it's commonly called. This is the center of the world, more or less. While you may be feeling overwhelmed, we promise you that you are in good hands in B-FEZ.

Let us start with The Board and how the Zone is organized. The Board has been the organizing party of Fae interest in the city since their formal founding in 1900. ThIt is made up of the rulers of the four Trader’s Courts, with a rotating chairperson-ship through the year. The after-parties at each hand-off are radical!

The Traders’ Courts have been operating in New York since the American Revolution, having finally kicked out those dirty Seelie and Unseelie bastards when our good friend Alexander Hamilton founded the National bank. When we later met our sisters in New Orleans, we were able to strike our own Bargain with the Bull and Bear, the twin-headed God of Commerce!

But who are these Traders’ Courts? Well I'm glad you asked.

Currency at Market takes several forms, and each of the Courts reflects one of those currencies

The Court of Coins, sometimes known as the Dragons, are the kings of Greed, for the simplest transactions are completed with cold, hard cash - even if that cash might more closely resemble lost doubloons or pennies gathered from the depths of a specific wishing fountain in Central Park than modern dollar notes. Coins have a specific value, and a trader can count them and bite them to test their realness. Change also jingles in a pocket or purse, signifying to anyone listening for its clinking and clattering song that the carrier has riches to spend.

They are some of our most straight forward freeholders, preferring to deal in absolutes. Organized like a multinational cooperation, all court members in good standing are considered to be shareholders in the court. As you perform more service to the court, you may gain the coveted role of Voting shareholder (Mantle 3+) . The nominees for CFO are selected from the population of voting shareholders, and then voted on by the rest. An election is held when two-thirds of the voting shareholders vote no confidence in the CFO.

((Mantle Effects:
The Mantle of a Coin Courtier carries with it the sound of coins shaken in deep pockets, or bills counted out from a drawer. They smell of copper and paper and ink.
Your character gains a Glamour point whenever she successfully hunts down someone who owes her something and gets it.
  • Mantle • Gain bonus dice equal to your character’s Mantle dots on any mundane rolls to persuade someone to make a deal in exchange for hard currency (p. 212)
  • Mantle •• Gain bonus dice equal to your character’s Mantle dots to mundane rolls to figure out whether someone is trying to cheat her.
  • Mantle ••• Once per chapter, you may spend a Willpower point to grant your character additional dots of the Resources Merit (p. 124) equal to her Mantle dots, to a maximum of five, for the scene.
  • Mantle •••• Once per story, reduce your character’s Goblin Debt by his Mantle rating.
  • Mantle ••••• Once per scene, you may spend a Willpower point to learn the current heart’s desire of any character present.
Court contracts:
  1. Jeweler's Glass (Cupid’s Arrow - Spring /Common)
  2. Dragon's Breath (Autumn’s Fury - Autumn /Common)
  3. The Light of Hermes (Helios’ Light - Summer /Common)
  4. The Rich Get Richer (Last Harvest - Autumn /Common)
  5. Insider Trading (Twilight's Harbinger - Autumn /Common)
  6. Gift of Ivory (Pandora’s Gift - Spring /Royal)
  7. Gift form the Horde (Waking the inner Fae - Spring /Royal)
  8. Dragon's Fire (Fiery Tongue - Summer /Royal)
  9. Headstart (Sorcerer's Rebuke - Autumn /Royal)
  10. Who Needs Friends? (Winter's Curse - Winter /Royal))

The Court of Barter, sometimes known as Sphinxes, are the rulers of Confidence. They realize that everything has value, even if it’s hard to see. This is the court that takes in most of the newly escaped Lost, guiding them away from the stalls in Underhill where less scrupulous merchants sense their desperation for information, vengeance, or word of lost families. The Barter Court makes itself available to witness bargains, letting the entrants know whether their deal is fair or not. While this is generally met with approval, some sellers take it as an insult that their clients distrust them so openly.

Run by the Head Evaluator who acts as a supervisor of the goods that are brought into the hoard of bartered items that the Court gathers in tithe. The Head Evaluator is chosen through ritual when the previous one dies or steps down. The Ritual is largely secret though it involves deciding the value of several objects form the hoard and choosing the most valuable

((Mantle Effects: The Mantle for a Barterer manifests in even tones and calming scents. They leave drips of sealing wax in their wake. Your character gains a Glamour point whenever he successfully intercedes on someone else’s behalf in an unfair deal.
  • Mantle • Gain bonus dice equal to your character’s Mantle dots on mundane rolls to read someone’s situation from their behavior.
  • Mantle •• Gain bonus dice equal to your character’s Mantle dots on mundane rolls to make deals and agreements in Underhill.
  • Mantle ••• Regain a Willpower point whenever you resolve the Oathbreaker Condition (CtL p. 343), or when someone else resolves it due to your influence or meddling.
  • Mantle •••• Once per chapter, when the Storyteller spends your Goblin Debt to impose a Condition, you may replace the Condition with another of the same general type (mental, physical, emotional, etc.).
  • Mantle ••••• Once per chapter, you may ask the Storyteller if someone your character is dealing with has left a loophole or catch that could disadvantage him in a deal.

Court contracts
  • What’s Eatin’ Ya, Kid? (Witches Intuition - Autumn /Common)
  • The Last Room In The Inn (Child of the Hearth - Summer /Common)
  • Can Ya Step? (High Summer’s Zeal - Summer /Common)
  • Riddle of the Sphinx (Tale of the Baba Yaga - Autumn /Common)
  • Free ICE (Touch of Winter - Winter /Common)
  • King of Fiddler’s Green (Prince of Ivy - Spring /Royal)
  • Righteous Fury (Flames of Summer - Summer /Royal)
  • The Eye of Ra (Helios’s Judgement - Summer /Royal)
  • Shared Confidence (Tasting the Harvest -Autumn /Royal)
  • Stage-Fright (Mein of Baba Yaga - Autumn/ (Royal))
The Court of Favors or, as we sometimes call them, the Spiders, deal in like for like and are the masters of Trust. Favors are a currency built on risk and trust on the parts of both seller and buyer; the seller trusts they’ll recoup their investment, and the buyer trusts that when the bill comes due, they’re not forced to pay more than what their purchase was worth.

The members tend to be shrewd listeners and smooth talkers. They promise just enough, and know when to walk away from a bad deal. Whatever their business partner needs, the changeling knows a guy who can get it for him. Their networks are vast, and they rarely tolerate oathbreakers in their ranks.

The Court of Favors are ruled by The Beloved Queen from the Ironwood Throne, chosen by the Wyrd at the start of the third fiscal quarter every year. The Court has trust in the Wyrd to choose the right person for the year ahead. The Crown typically stays with one Spider for years at a time, though upsets have been known to occur - typically as a sign of some major challenge coming in the future.

((Mantle Effects: Favorsworn Mantles carry with them the sound of bells tolling or hands clasping to seal a bargain. Your character gains a Glamour point whenever she makes good on a significant promise she made within the same chapter.
  • Mantle • Gain bonus dice equal to your character’s Mantle dots on mundane rolls to convince someone to make a bargain in exchange for a promised favor (p. 214).
  • Mantle •• Gain the benefits of the Fixer Merit (p. 122), even if your character doesn’t meet the requirements.
  • Mantle ••• Other characters suffer a dice penalty equal to your character’s Mantle dots to mundane rolls to swindle her or lie to her about a deal or promise.
  • Mantle •••• Once per chapter, you may accept a point of Goblin Debt to pawn off an obligation from a bargain onto another changeling.
  • Mantle ••••• Once per chapter, you may reroll any mundane action that would pay off a favor your character owes and choose which result to keep.

Court Contracts
  • Fated Meetings (Wyrd-Faced Stranger - Spring /Common)
  • Scent of Vengeance (Baleful Sense -Summer /Common)
  • Gift of Trust (Gift of Warm Breath - Spring /Common)
  • Wash Away the Pain (Springs Kiss - Spring /Common)
  • Let the Past Die (Slipknot Dreams - Winter /Common)
  • The Gift of Time (Blessing of Spring - Spring /Royal)
  • The Cure for What Ails Ya(Gift of Warm Blood - Spring /Royal)
  • Nothing Hides form the Truth (Solstice Revelation - Summer /Royal)
  • Ghosts of the Past (Field of Regret - Winter /Royal)
  • Chill of Betrayal (Mantle of Frost - Winter /Royal))

The last and most Mysterious of the trader courts is The Court of Shady Deals -The Unseen. Masters of Suspicion. Because you don’t have the Snowdrop Crown in your backpack, if it were to find its way there, and then to Underhill, well…don’t you want to know if your daughter still dreams about her father? What’s one more throat cut, after all the lives your Keeper made you take?

Unseen are willing to take on the jobs most others would reject outright. They do the hard jobs, the ones that require cold logic, steady hands, and no aversion to blood. They do what’s necessary. They’re not sorry. The Lost who swear to this court are also the freehold’s defenders. If the Huntsmen come near, they know where to hide the bodies.

The Director of the Court of Shady Deals oversees the FBI (Fae Bureau of Investigation). They work from their offices to maintain information flow and do what needs to be done. Below the Director is an advisory council made up of higher-ranking members of the Court (Mantle 4+) who choose the new director should the current one fail in their office.

(Mantle Effects: Light dims around these courtiers, and the sound of knives rasping on whetstone follows them. Your character gains a Glamour point whenever he successfully hides evidence of a dirty deed when someone comes looking for it.
  • Mantle • Gain bonus dice equal to your character’s Mantle dots on mundane rolls to pick a lock or break into a place he doesn’t belong.
  • Mantle •• Gain bonus dice equal to your character’s Mantle dots on mundane rolls to escape a sticky situation unnoticed.
  • Mantle ••• Your character may use Goblin Contracts without incurring Goblin Debt a number of times per chapter equal to his Mantle rating.
  • Mantle •••• You may spend a Willpower point to ignore all the effects of the Oathbreaker Condition for one turn.
  • Mantle ••••• Once per chapter, you may reroll a surprise attack roll and choose which result to keep.

Court Contracts
  • What’s the Worst Ya Got? (The Dragon Knows - Winter /Common)
  • The Sleep of Briar Rose (Dreams of the Earth - Spring /Common)
  • Expect the Worst (Vigilance of Ares - Summer /Common)
  • Baby It’s Cold Outside (Ice Queens Call - Winter /Common)
  • Cold Reason (Heart of Ice - Winter /Common)
  • I Knew You Were Bad News (Sunburnt Heart - Summer /Royal)
  • Elementary, My Dear Watson (Famine’s Bulwark - Autumn /Royal)
  • Detritus Escape (Ride the Falling leaves - Autumn /Royal)
  • Urban Camouflage (Ermines Winter Coat - Winter /Royal)
  • Trust Nothing (Fallow Fields - Winter /Royal))

In time you will likely be approached by members of each of the courts looking to recruit you into their organization; don’t feel pressured, just go with what feels like a good fit and don’t worry if that changes over time.

You will, however, be asked to swear to the Freehold oath if you wish to continue being a member of our community, and enjoy our protection; for your convenience,a copy of the text is presented here.

(Expiration Date, 1 Fiscal year from the date signed)

I [changelings preferred name] swear to uphold the rights and traditions of the Brooklyn Free Economic Zone. I shall not stand in the way of a Freehold member making a fair profit, though I may seek any advantage open to me to profit from the trade. I shall pay my dues to my Court, in that Court’s preferred currency, on a quarterly basis, or request an extension in advance of the deadline, with interest to be determined by the Board member of my court. I will not co-sign any of my fellow members into enslavement or the machinations of the Gentry, for they have earned their escape the same as I. I will not knowingly undermine the work of The Board, and I will complete assignments given to me by the Board to the best of my ability.
Should I fail to uphold the terms of this contract I shall forsake the protection of the Grand Bargain until I make restitution to my Fellows as directed by the Chairperson.

[Signature and Date]

If you have any questions don’t hesitate to reach out to your Sponsor.

Last thing you need to know living in B-FEZ is the market law for Underhill.

The Law of the Underhill Market is thus:

By entering the Free Market of Underhill, be ye Mortal or Fae you are bound to the Laws that follow as written.

Violence is Not Tolerated- Market security will quickly dispatch all violent actors.

All Sales are Final - You get what you paid for, there are no returns or exchanges

You Get Products as Advertised - All wares do what they are advertised to do.

Theft WillBe Severely Punished - Thieves shall be severely hunted down, captured and made to stand trial before the Marketeers.

No Resident of B-FEZ Shall Be Enslaved - Any entity residing in the Territory of B-FEZ shall be protected from Enslavement.

Honor Your Debts - Debtors shall not be tolerated. Debts shall be paid on time, or face the wrath of Market security.

Follow the rules and you’ll be on your way to success in your new life before you know it.

At the very back of the pamphlet is a sigil and the words:
Paid for by the B-FEZ Para-Natural Tourism foundation.