Custom Content

For everything venue related, but is OOC.
Xolotl

Custom Content

Post by Xolotl »

Until we migrate it to the website, I'll post the custom content we have here.

Surtur and I felt like the Inguma and the Tallasii got the short end of the stick when it comes to Atavisms - all the other families get 6 affinity, they get 3, so we made some to balance this out! Inguma are ready right now, I'll post the Tallasii as soon as we polish them!

Feel free to point out anything that's not clear!
Xolotl

Re: Custom Content

Post by Xolotl »

Inguma

Eye Spy
Inguma always seem to know. Being watched or spied on is one of the biggest fears people have of the other or of the strangers in their midst and this Atavism perpetuates that unease. This Atavism gives the Stranger the ability to notice things most people would miss, as well as giving them the ability to sense things from afar - nothing is safe from those who attract the interest of a curious Inguma.

Standard: The Begotten’s senses are preternaturally sharp, receiving a bonus equal to ½ Lair rounded up to Perception rolls. They do not suffer penalties based on distance.

Low Satiety: The Begotten may remove body parts which grow sensory organs and place them around an area. Removed bits with organs function for a scene before deteriorating. This has two benefits;
Negating Cover
Preventing the Begotten from being surprised (thusly denying Defense denial from Surprise attacks, unless Stealth is utilized.)

Satiety Expenditure: If the Inguma touches their victim before the skulk off, or just for fun, they may utilize this ability as though the Victim is one of their sensory organs. And may continue to do so, as long as you are within (½ Lair Miles range.) This can also extend the duration of Low Satiety to a Chapter.

Mind to Mind
Mythology - both classical and modern, is full of the uncanny near-humans who speak without uttering a word, or who can steal your deepest secrets. From the greys of modern horror to the feral satori, to grinning succubi and to bloodthirsty tlahuelpuchi, mind-reading has been a staple of many of the humanesque monsters of legend. The Inguma embody this aspect of the monster myth, using their ability for any number of nefarious reasons.

Standard: While not truly capable of reading thoughts yet, you can skim emotional responses with ease. Gaining Soft Leverage in Social Maneuvers, 9-again on Empathy Rolls, and Treating their Victims as though they had one fewer Doors, than normal.
Low Satiety: No longer barred entry to your victim’s thoughts, you are capable of direct communication with surface thoughts. Thoughts supersede language, and allow for communication when there is a communal language lacking.

Satiety Expenditure: Subjects can no longer hide their inner truths from you, you may pluck through their memories as easily as one might search a computer file. Providing you know what you’re looking for. Roll Wits+Empathy+Lair - Resolve + Supernatural Tolerance. Successes are answers you can glean from a singular Satiety expenditure.

Broken Mirror
The most insidious part of the stranger is how well they blend in. Strangers with this Atavism mirror those around them perfectly - be it in physical contests, social situations, or even mental acuity. Doppelgangers, mirror people, even humanoid androids all take on human guise and learn to mimic human behavior so perfectly you’d never expect they were anything other than normal.

Standard: Once you’ve seen a specialty in play, you may mimic that specialty, this doesn’t grant you skill dots, but it will negate the unskilled penalty. If you study them for a full minute using the specialty, you may gain 9-again on the Mimicry.

Low: Hunger drives you to deeper desperation, you no longer solely mimic the talents of your victims, you improve yourself in their capabilities. Treat your rating in a mimicked skill as ½ Lair unless your skill is higher. If your skill is higher, gain 8-again.

Satiety Expenditure: Their frustration is your gain. Your victim takes a penalty equal to ½ Lair Rounded up and loses a dice trick, in addition to the Low Satiety effects.
Rote becomes 8-again | 8-again becomes 9-again | 9-again becomes 10-again | 10-again becomes no dice trick (when stolen)
Aeveth

Post by Aeveth »

Hello

Before you go any further, I might come of strong on the cristicism here, no offence intended if it somehow can be percieved that way, I don't want to take stuff from the work you put into making these atavisms, but I have some concerns about them

First question then, are these the finished product or are they open to player input?

Because I see an issue with repeated effect of other atavisms, let me point out what I mean

First we have Eye Spy
Eye Spy
Inguma always seem to know. Being watched or spied on is one of the biggest fears people have of the other or of the strangers in their midst and this Atavism perpetuates that unease. This Atavism gives the Stranger the ability to notice things most people would miss, as well as giving them the ability to sense things from afar - nothing is safe from those who attract the interest of a curious Inguma.

Standard: The Begotten’s senses are preternaturally sharp, receiving a bonus equal to ½ Lair rounded up to Perception rolls. They do not suffer penalties based on distance.
Now let me point out Needs Must normal effect, taken from the core book pages 128-129, I'll highlight the relevant part and that isn't everything the atavism does with is normal effect.

Needs Must [Ugallu]

Most creatures have a far wider experience of the world than humans do, helping them avoid danger and making them more efficient hunters. A Beast with this Atavism shares some of their heightened senses, but she also has an esoteric “sixth sense” for finding and pursuing the object of her Hunger, whether it is priceless treasure or living prey.

Dice Pool: N/A

Action: Reflexive

Normal Effect: The Beast’s senses are superior to any human’s. She adds her Lair dots as a bonus on Perception rolls, including reacting to surprise. Furthermore, she ignores distance related penalties to Perception equal to her Lair dots. With a moment of concentration, she can read a sign from miles away or hear breathing in a closet at the end of the hall.

The Beast instinctively senses whenever a potential meal is nearby — that is, something that would increase her Satiety if consumed. This is particularly useful at high Satiety when the Beast’s needs are exacting. A Nemesis knows someone has committed an unpardonable sin just by looking at them, a Tyrant senses an opportunity for advancement, and a Collector realizes a priceless jewel is hidden amongst the dross.This “sixth sense” does not penetrate any magical disguise or obfuscation, nor does it reveal any information other than the presence of a potential meal.
So...why the lessened effect of something already in play?

Now there is the Low Satiety effect which needs clarification.
Low Satiety: The Begotten may remove body parts which grow sensory organs and place them around an area. Removed bits with organs function for a scene before deteriorating. This has two benefits;
Negating Cover
Preventing the Begotten from being surprised (thusly denying Defense denial from Surprise attacks, unless Stealth is utilized.)
I'm not sure I understand it right but are you saying that I have to get like Arm Wrack or Leg Wrack or other tilt in order to get a surveillance drone? or is it free of negative effects? does the Beast take damage from the destruction of the drone (calling them that for lack of a better term) what's the limit of how many of them we can make? are they mobile or stationary?

and last but not least, the satiety expenditure effect
Satiety Expenditure: If the Inguma touches their victim before the skulk off, or just for fun, they may utilize this ability as though the Victim is one of their sensory organs. And may continue to do so, as long as you are within (½ Lair Miles range.) This can also extend the duration of Low Satiety to a Chapter.
Same as with the low satiety, I like it very much to be honest, riding someone or something else senses is very on point with what I would expect...again my questions are what are the nuances, is it just 1 target? and again, Needs Must does this already and without the distance limit even if just temporarily.

Needs Must - Pg. 129
Satiety Expenditure: The Beast can mark anyone or anything and track it to the ends of the Earth, regardless of whether or not it could potentially raise his Satiety. Objects or targets thus marked do not count against the usual limit of having one marked target. In addition, if the Beast marks a living thing, she can see borrow its senses (seeing through its eyes, hearing what it hears, etc.) for a number of minutes equal to her Lair rating, once per day
I got no issues with Mind to Mind, though I have a question about the low satiety effect, is it telepathy and a sort of gift of tongues? like he understands the target even if they communicating in some obscure and bizarre language, like say First Tongue or High Speech?

Then we move to Broken Mirror and what it does, there is already an effect for mimicking others in Enemy Within from the Beast Player's Guide Pg. 84
Satiety Expenditure: The Beast practically becomes his victim. Every trace left by the Beast is that of the victim, includ-ing fingerprints, DNA, and other evidence the Beast might accidentally or deliberately leave behind. The Beast automati-cally passes any physical test designed to verify identity, such as fingerprint, voice, or retinal scanners. The Beast can replicate any Skill possessed by the victim up to her Lair dots, but gains no access to the victim’s supernatural abilities or powers. The copy is so perfect the victim doubts himself if confronted by the Beast. The victim’s player rolls Resolve + Composure, and gains the Confused Condition (on a failure), or the Fugue Condition (on a dramatic failure). The Beast’s player must spend 1 Satiety per scene to maintain the disguise.
So question here, what happens if they somehow overlap? do I get Lair+1/2 Lair bonus to one skill of the victim? does it go above the normal 5 dot limit if my skill rating is below them?

For the normal effect, I need to know the specialty and watch it in play? would the Atavism reveal those to me?

Also, kind of curious, but why the 1/2 Lair bonuses?

Pretty much all atavisms in both books offer a +Lair bonus when they add a bonus to a dicepool, Dragonfire, Limb From Limb, Monster From the Deep, Alien Allure, Siren Treacherous Song, Storm Lashed, Alien Mindset, Basilisk Touch, when they add their bonus or when they do damage is straight up Lair what is added, otherwise the effects don't scale on Lair at all, like with Eye of Heaven

There are only two atavism that scale on 1/2 Lair that I can see, and they are Skin Deep and Caught in the Webs, Skin Deep does a trade of power over versatility while Caught in the Webs kind of eats a victims attribute with its mechanics

Thank you for your time and consideration
Xolotl

Post by Xolotl »

Thank you for pointing out these bugs, we'll work to fix them ASAP!