Vampire Clanbook Clarification

Have a question about a rule you need clarified or general game questions? Post your question in this form for the staff to review and respond to.
Shane_357

Vampire Clanbook Clarification

Post by Shane_357 »

Hey I just joined and I'm considering making a Vampire - the approved book list mentions the '1e Covenant and Clanbooks', recently there's been community-made updated 2e Clanbooks for Mekhet, Nosferatu and Ventrue. Are these permissible? How does the 'fluff only' bit work?

EDIT: This isn't an urgent thing, I'm only considering a Vampire as a secondary character, I'm working on the primary one, a Changeling, right now.
TeeEight

Re: Vampire Clanbook Clarification

Post by TeeEight »

Shane_357 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:57 am Hey I just joined and I'm considering making a Vampire - the approved book list mentions the '1e Covenant and Clanbooks', recently there's been community-made updated 2e Clanbooks for Mekhet, Nosferatu and Ventrue. Are these permissible? How does the 'fluff only' bit work?

EDIT: This isn't an urgent thing, I'm only considering a Vampire as a secondary character, I'm working on the primary one, a Changeling, right now.
The fluff only part means anything aside from mechanics is allowed (within reason I assume).

Edit: Dagda answered below me. It makes more sense than what I wrote.
Last edited by TeeEight on Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheDagda

Re: Vampire Clanbook Clarification

Post by TheDagda »

Shane_357 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:57 am Hey I just joined and I'm considering making a Vampire - the approved book list mentions the '1e Covenant and Clanbooks', recently there's been community-made updated 2e Clanbooks for Mekhet, Nosferatu and Ventrue. Are these permissible? How does the 'fluff only' bit work?

Welcome!

The following 1e Clan and Covenant books are permitted as reference:
  • Carthians
  • Circle of the Crone
  • Invictus
  • Lancea Sanctum
  • Ordo Dracul
  • Kiss of the Succubus: Daeva
  • Lords over the Damned: Ventrue
  • Savage and Macabre: Gangrel
  • Shadows in the Dark: Mekhet
  • The Beast That Haunts the Blood: Nosferatu
Third-party sources are not permitted, but properly cited fan-updated bloodlines are open for consideration.

"Fluff Only" means that elements that have not been changed or contradicted in 2e materials that referenced in the above sourcebooks are still considered valid and open for use; for example, our Invictus players currently use the lexicon and titles provided by Invictus, but large parts of Circle of the Crone's historical references no longer apply due to the modern covenant now dating to the 1800s and not antiquity, and though the Childer of the Morrigan are a prominent bloodline in the city, their origins are likewise changed; however none of the mechanical aspects and rules are in use in either (though bloodlines may be updated to 2e for usage).