The books are the main source of rules and mechanics we will be using for our game. However, these rules are in place to correct, customize, and individualize our game here on Eternal Noire. These House Rules supersede anything that may conflict with them in the books. If you have any questions on these, please submit them via feedback.
Eternal Noire will not make any house rules unless…
- A clarification is needed for a rule that is vague or coming into question often, and/or…
- A power or rules balance is needed to ensure a fair game, and/or…
- A rule enriches the setting, story, or fun on Eternal Noire.
**This rule is here to protect the integrity of the books and system as a whole.**
Adding New Rules: Any Rule or System changes made during the course of the game will be posted to the players for constructive feedback, after the staff has their own discussion and BEFORE a new rule is implemented. A finalized rule that has gone through this feedback process will then be announced officially when it is implemented into play.
NEW: Secrecy Mechanic
Eternal Noire’s setting will be using a custom new Secrecy Mechanic.
Any Tier 3 (a.k.a. z-splat) such as Bloodlines, Legacies, Conspiracies & Endowments are unavailable at this time. They will open up later within the first year of the Los Angeles County chronicle. For Tier 3s that require mentioning in the PCs background, please work with the ST team for your venue to ensure your future intentions are known, and they can assist you.
Any custom created items or powers must be submitted to your Venue ST Team for approval by your character thread. You MUST receive approval before you can use the item in any IC scene, or you would be breaking our Code of Conduct.
- Mystery Cults: All MCs must be discovered through play and may not be blue booked to join them. Check the Approved Mystery Cults List for more ooc information available on these cults.
- Player-Created MCs MUST be formed through play and have at least 5 total PC members before they can be created. Retainers and Staff do not count.
- Striking Looks: The bonus to dice rolls does NOT count towards the maximum allowed equipment bonus (+5).
The following mortal “plus” templates are currently not allowed:
Mortals are restricted to a maximum of Professional Training 3 at creation.
- 1.0 to 2.0 Rules Translation Guide: We will be using out own Hunter Rules Custom Translation Guide on Eternal Noire. Please check here first before submitting request for rules feedback.
- Tier 3: Conspiracies and Tier 3 are unavailable at this time. They will open up later this year.
- Mortal+: You may have any of the following as a Tier 1 or Tier 2 Hunter. If you wish to transition to a Tier 3 hunter later, you would lose these under Sanctity of Merits.
- Universal Supernatural Merits available to any mortal in the Approved Books List.
- Quarter-Splats available under the Mortals of Darkness House Rules.
- NEW Merit: Professional Training, Advanced (• to •••)
Prerequisite: Hunter, Professional Training •••••, Only 1 Dot at CC
Effect: Your character’s training in their profession not only is at expert levels, it is the top of their field in the hunter community as well. Being surrounded by other professionals seems to put you at an advantage over your peers; using your professional training to defend against the monsters in the dark has helped push your experience further.
• The Friends You Know: You have gotten really good at your profession, not just good, but you live and breathe the profession to the point that you can look at your own job from the outside and know who will help you the best in your current situation. You gain Allies (specific to your PT) equal to your dots in Advanced Professional Training.
•• The Places You’ll Go: Your specialties in your asset skills have served you well, they have become so embedded into your skill set that they have enhanced your overall ability in that skill. When using a specialty in your asset skills, count it as having an extra dot in the skill when applying merits, styles, and extended actions. Area of Expertise counts as having two extra dots in the skill instead of just one.
••• You Never Know Which Way the Wind Will Blow: You are beyond the top of others with similar professional training. Everyone comes to you for advice because somehow, you make it work, even in the most dire and dangerous of circumstance. When risking a willpower on an asset skill, gain the advanced action quality on the roll.
- Coils of the Dragon: Costs 4XP per dot and not 3XP.
- Crucible: Currently Banned.
- Swarm Form: Currently Banned.
- Bloody Aspiration: Beast Chosen Aspiration that usually risky or evil that grants 2 beats
- Covenant Merits: Certain Covenant merits/traits are not available (Invested and Carthian Pull) or Crones and Lance members may not advance Theban or Cruac after CC or gain new rituals and ditto with OD.
- Finishing Blows & Permanent Death: It is assumed that unless someone goes out of their way to inflict Final Death on a Kindred they enter torpor instead. Sometimes this doesn’t make sense and so if there’s ever any question feel free to discuss it with your fellow players in the scene or an ST. The goal is to avoid accidental Player death.
- NEW Merit: Elder (•••)
Prerequisite: Years spent active as Kindred 200+ or BP 4
Description: Some vampires reach fantastical levels of control over their Blood and condition. For most this requires centuries of slow progress and careful plans to survive but for others the constant struggle to stay ‘alive’ from night to night thickens their blood early. These rare creatures gain the mantle and distinction of being called Elders.
Effect: As Elders they qualify for some traits that require this level of understanding of the Blood (see Thousand Years of Night). In addition your character gains two free skill specialties relevant to their time as elders. Any time they roll a skill in which they use any skill specialty they gain the 9-again trait. They also gain a Faded Touchstone (see Thousand Years of Night), a 1XP discount on Devotions they purchase (to a minimum of one). They also gain their Advanced Bane. Finally they lose a dot of Humanity.
- NEW Merit: Fledgeling (••)
Prerequisite: BP 1 and Embraced five years or less.
Description: Fledgeling are fresh to the unlife and the Curse. Their control over the Blood is tenuous most of the time and unpredictable. Your vampire for one reason or another embodies this stereotype particularly well.
Effect: There are some benefits to being new to the Blood. A vampire’s Humanity is a fresh memory helping them weather the curse of vampirism. They gain +1 dice on detachment rolls and +3 on Blush of Life rolls (see our house rules). New vampires also can typically rely on their Sires or some other Kindred interested in their well being (for whatever reason that might be in their own self interest). Your vampire is one of those lucky newbies and receive three free dots of Mentor and one free dot of Touchstone. Finally being freshly dead also helps keeps your identity as a vampire secret. You gain a bonus on your Secrecy score.
Once your character reaches Blood Potency 3 this merit is refunded and all benefits are lost. They gain two free dots spend in Allies, Contacts or Status.
- Gnosis Caps:
- Gnosis 2 max at character creation.
- Gnosis 4 max by end of year 1.
- Gnosis 6 max by end of year 2.
- Proximi: Not allowed at this time, and will be available when Tier 3 Legacies become available.
- Hallows: Hallows can be raised to 3 in play. Hollows with potential above 3 are all seer controlled and will only be available through major plot points.
- Spellcasting: Spellcasting on Eternal Noire in the current Los Angeles Setting has a lot of custom adjustments due to IC plot that will change through story developments. Because of this, all approved House Rules for the mage venue on EN will be available on their Spellcasting & Mechanics Wiki Page. Please check this page frequently for updates.
- Order Membership Mandatory: PCs must belong to an order. Bring a Nameless is ok for a 1-month time period for newly awakened or magus who have recently moved to the city. After this 1-month the NPC’s will have to ask you to join an order or leave the city.
- Duel Arcana: Check the explanation wiki page on Duel Arcana for information on how it is done in this setting.
- Other Expectations: The mage storytelling staff have a list of additional mechanics expectations you can find on their Mage Venue Introduction Page.
- NEW MERIT: Adamant Way (••)
Prerequisites: Adamant Hand, Status: Adamantine Arrow 2+, Gnosis 2
Description: True dedication to the way comes through rigorous training guiding yourself through adaptation and the multitudinous ways to combat the Lie. Many naive Arrows believe that the only way to do so is through combat, but as they mature, they learn that the battlefield has long since evolved beyond the directness of bloodshed. While practitioners of this way of truth may utilize violence, it is certainly not the only tool at their disposal.
Benefit: Members of the Adamantine Arrow, have long honed themselves towards Magical combat and duels. Through their rigorous training they’ve learned to move beyond the limitations of the body, learning to operate at their pique by allowing their supernal souls guide them and protect them more thoroughly. This allows members with this level of dedication to the cause may utilize their Gnosis for their Defense rather than Athletics (or any other skill substitution with merits.) This Merit unlocks various sub-merits/Attainments, you can take a sub-merit for each dot in Status you have with the Adamantine Arrow, but your first must come from a ruling Arcana, to emphasize your soul’s natural talent.
- **Note to all the sub-merits listed. The WP can only be spent on one sub merit per round (only one sub-merit may be activated per round) Also the player must spend the WP to gain the ability to use the mana expenditure.**
- Link to the full list of approved sub-merits on the wiki page here.
- NEW MERIT: Silver Rungs (••)
Prerequisites: Silver Ladder Status 1+, Awakened
Benefit: A member of the Silver Ladder gains a free dot of Allies, Contacts, Resources, or Retainer for each dot of Status of Silver Ladder they have. Also, pick one of the above merits. You may apply it as a yantra when ritual casting a spell. (For Allies and Retainer pick only one instance to apply as a yantra. This may still not exceed 5 for any reason.)