Character Creation Guide
Step One: Choose a Venue
At this time, you may have TWO PCs on Eternal Noire.
In the future, we may add more venues depending on book availability and expand our Story Telling team! If you’re interested in seeing a venue we don’t currently have in play, please feel free to apply for staff and/or send in feedback.
Step Two: Basic Creation & House Rules
On Eternal Noire we are using Chronicles of Darkness (nWoD 2e) for our setting, with the following exceptions:
Basic Creation Rules:
- Mystery Cult Initiation: No MCIs at character creation. All MCIs must be discovered through play.
- Territory: No Territory claims at creation.
- Z-Splats: No Z-Splats (Tier 3) at character creation.
- Only ONE attribute may start at 1 at creation, and it MUST be explained in your backstory.
- Any FOURS or FIVES should be explained as well, in your back story.
- Secrecy Mechanic: This is a custom mechanic for the Eternal Noire 1.0 setting that we will be using. See House Rules for more information.
Otherwise, we will be using the book creation rules located in the core Chronicles of Darkness pages 24-60. Each venue will be using their basic creation rules in their respective books, but to summarize:
- Name & Concept
- Anchors: Vice/Virtue
- Attributes: 5/4/3
- Skills: 11/7/4
- Specialties: 3
- Merits: 10
- Starting Integrity: 7
- Starting Secrecy: 7, Adjusted per House Rules by ST.
- Aspirations: 2 Short Term, 1 Long Term.
Step Three: Add Your Template
Once you have a basic sheet ready, you’ll need to add your template. Each venue has their own creation specific rules, so you’ll have to check their creation rules below…
- HtV 2.0 Translation: We will be using custom translation rules and some general house rules listed here.
- Status (Compact): 2 max at CC.
- Endowments: Not available at character creation.
- Avoid Antagonistic Concepts: You MAY make antagonistic concepts, but remember to thoroughly understand the setting and the site policies before you do. Your PC may be short lived if you do not, and no one wants that.
- CC Sheet: RAW from VtR 2.0 (pg 79 – 82) including all freebies. Include all general house rules listed here.
- Feeding Grounds & Territory: Not allowed at character creation.
- Bloody Aspiration: You’ll need one of these. A Bloody Aspiration is a Beast Chosen Aspiration that usually risky or evil that grants 2 beats.
- Name Format: First name ~Shadowname~ Last Name
- CC Sheet: RAW from MtA 2.0 (pg 79 – 82) including all freebies. Include all general house rules listed here.
- Hallow: May only be a max of 1 dot at CC. This is not shared.
- Status (Order): 2 max at CC.
- Gnosis: 2 max at character creation.
- Arcana: No Arcana at 4.
- Custom Artifacts: None above 5 dots at CC.
- Avoid Antagonistic Concepts: Its ok to disagree, but try not to be that character that no one wants to play with. It will make you and everyone else a sad panda.
Step Four: Add Bonus XP
We are offering 10 Bonus Starting XP that you may spend in any way that complies with each venue’s creation rules. This is to help flesh out your PC so that you can give it more of an individualistic feel.
We do not offer floor XP at this time besides the base 10 bonus xp. XP is set up so that late-starting characters are able to “catch up” to older characters at their own pace.
For more information on this check our Experience Policy.
Step Five: Background & Questionnaire
Writing a background can feel a bit daunting, especially when you don’t know what to expect from the staff. At Eternal Noire, we want to encourage PCs to be as creative and thorough with their backgrounds as possible. We encourage tie-ins to the setting, and our Story Telling staff will read your background thoroughly no matter if it’s a bullet list, or a well written short story to set your PC up for how they ended up in the here and now of sanctioning. We don’t expect a ton of justification, but if you have any outliers on your sheet in terms of very high or very low dots, it’s a good chance to explain how that happened to our team here.
Sanctioning is a conversation. Our Staff is here to help you make your creative ideas work within the game and setting we have prepared, to ensure everyone can have the chance to have fun.
OUR PROMISE: WE WILL READ YOUR HISTORY, and we will USE the story hooks and ties you give us. You are not required to write a long background, but if you put in the work you’ll see the reward for it.
What we Require from Backgrounds:
- These are personalized for each venue, and they’re usually short questions that the STs will be looking for to assist in the sanctioning process. Check the individual Venue Character Creation Questionnaires for your venue for more information.
- These are the MINIMUM requirements to help flesh out your characters.
- What is the worst thing your character has ever done?
- What is the worst thing your character can imagine himself doing?
- What is the worst thing your character can imagine someone else doing?
- What has your character forgotten?
- What is the most traumatic thing that has ever happened to your character?
- What is your character’s definition of a “monster”?
- Why does your character choose to hunt these “monsters”?
- What is the most horrific thing your character has done?
- What is your character’s biggest fear?
- What is your character’s biggest regret?
- Who is/are the most important person/people your character wants to protect?
- Who Embraced you and Why? (This is an OOC explanation and not your characters )
- Why does your character think they’re Sire Embraced them?
- How does your character typically hunt? (Include prefered skills)
- Where does your character sleep during the day?
- Why is your touchstone(s) important to your character and how are they vulnerable?
- What does your character think of their faction and/or Covenant? Why and how did they join it?
- What does your character think of other factions and Covenants?
- What was your character’s awakening like?
- Did he/she have any supernatural involvement before awakening?
- Beyond Gnosis 1, what was the mystery that your mage learned?
- If you are a sleepwalker, what caused you to become a sleepwalker?
- A Bullet Pointed List or short story/novella about your PC.
- While we have no minimum or maximum length, typically it’s somewhere between 1-20 pages in length as a basic measure.
3 Setting/Story Hooks
- While Role-Play Hooks on a wiki are there to help other players make a connection with your PC for play, a Setting/Story Hook is there for the ST to connect your character to the setting & plot.
- These will help the team tie your personal character into the storyline and get you involved in the ongoing plots more quickly.
- No more, and no less than 3.
- “New to Los Angeles”
- “Daughter of So-n-So NPC”
End-Game Goal(s) for your character.
- These can be IC or OOC goals for your PC. At least 1, no more than 3.
- These help YOU get a good idea for your Character’s direction and helps the STs know what kind of things to help nudge your towards.
- Anything from “Get to Status 5 Government” or “Find my parent’s killers”, “Become Prince”, or even “Be Batman”.